Adderall is coveted by college students but how will history judge it?
Do college students really love Adderall?
Does Adderall really help them improve their grades?
YES & YES.
Try asking a college student what they think of Adderall. Here’s a hint though, before you ask keep a close eye on their facial expression. Not all college students are comfortable sharing this information with a stranger, and I can’t say I blame them, but most will grin subconsciously as soon as you say the word, Adderall, which is an answer in itself. Surprisingly most have no problem sharing their feelings of love about the drug. The jury is out, and it says college students like using Adderrall to raise their grades.
It Really – Really Sucks!
Is Abuse of Adderall a Problem, Or Only In Florida?
Alan DeSantis, a professor and researcher at the University of Kentucky, has tracked study drug use there. “It’s abused more than marijuana and easier to get,” he says. DeSantis’ research found that 30% of students at the university have illegally used a stimulant, like the ADHD drugs Adderall or Ritalin. The numbers increase with upperclassmen. Half of all juniors and seniors have used the drugs, the study found, and 80% of upperclassmen in fraternities and sororities have taken them. (full story by cnn)
I have mixed feelings about Adderall because it has helped me with my ADHD for many years and I know just how well it can improve focus and attention. I selfishly worry that its’ abuse will cause the drug to become less available to those (like me) that need it to function. There is one really sore subject related to ADHD medications that I must dedicate one paragraph to, for myself and for all of the people living in pain because Florida has become worse than Nazi Germany.
ADHD Medication & Pain Medication – FL, Attorney General Fuerer Bondi & DEA – “Know More Than Your Doctor”
Rules, Laws & Regulations Related to ADHD medication in Florida – Short Sell Evil Red Pharmacies & Make Money
- The evil red pharmacies will not fill your script if your doctor is more than 10 miles away, they tell you “get that filled near your doctor office.”. When you follow the orders given, the evil red pharmacies near your doctor will not fill your script if your home is more than 10 miles away from their location.
- The evil red pharmacies will no fill your script if your home is more than 10 miles away (but next door to your doctor office like you were demanded) and you are commanded to, “go to a pharmacy closer to your home”. But imagine you have been seeing the same mental health doctor for 20 years and he/she is 21, 30, 40 miles from your home, you are basically screwed and the only way you are getting filled is to find a sympathetic pharmacist (never at the evil red stores) or keep trying, and trying, and trying until you get lucky.
- The evil red pharmacies will NOT let you drop off a script to be filled. You must hand it to them with your driver license while they perform a background check on you (yes everyone even the Pope). The background thing is understandable, but they will not tell you if the drug is in stock until “after” they perform their little “search”. Persons of brown, black, and non-white skin have reported evil-red pharmacies being out for months whereas white skinned brethren sometimes find medicine in stock. Yes, this is for real we need a REAL investigative journalist in Florida to help drive down he stock (much more) of the evil red… you know what.
- The evil red pharmacies will NOT let you call in advance to see if the medicine is in stock, in fact they scold you for trying. They say you must drive into the pharmacy and get down on your knees every-single-day until “THEY” say it is in stock. Rumor has it that if you pay cash (evil red makes a ton) the drug will be in stock, and if you have insurance (no stock sorry) because Attorney General & Fuerer Bondi imposed mandatory limits on number of script fills per pharmacy and completely revoked the ability for many to fill ANY script from your doctor because they filled more than the national average. In Florida, where we have retirees in pain, and visitors in pain, with ADHD. Please vote NO to Bondi.
- The evil red pharmacies would like to set a strong example in light of all their rules, so if you should lose your composure after being denied a script fill for three-weeks and after hearing of others getting a fill from same location they will promptly… get this… CALL THE POLICE and report that you are scaring them and being threatening. So how does that make you want to do business with evil red pharmacies– how many of you have had the cops show up– and as they walk you out apologize for the way the pharmacists treat their customers. This is not an exaggeration, at the Reinhart Road location just south of 46a in Lake Mary, Florida the pharmacist heard me tell my wife, “the pharmacist said they were out” and my wife said, “I know I hear her being a bitch to you”, and I concurred. Two minutes later we were embarrassed by the Seminole County Police because Ms. Know It All was being a bitch and she felt that us telling her so was a threat, yes the overweight Latin girl who apparently just started the job and was reprimanded.
- Both evil red pharmacies are publicly traded via stock. You can make money when a stock goes DOWN in price by “selling the stock short”. You can make a TON of money when a stock goes down in price by “buying Put Options on the stock”, the further out of the money you buy them the higher percentage you can make (and lose) so I always recommend buying options that are “in-the-money” by at least 10-15% and doing it after the stock has an extended up-trend. Email for details. I offer no suggestion or advice only basic investing strategies.
- Heil Bondi! Heil Bondi! VOTE NO to Fuerer Bondi Florida Attorney General
ADHD, Real or Perceived? Adderall, Helpful or Hurtful?
Here are some bullet points that cover the questions.
- Is my overly positive attitude regarding Adderall a sign that I am overly dependent on Adderall, or worse yet addicted and that I might be glorifying the drug too much?
- Is it possible that I perceived symptoms (hypochondrias, desires) that weren’t symptoms and rather signs that “life isn’t easy”? I can’t deny the possibility but can say for sure I believe in my case ADHD is real and Adderall is a net-positive in a big way in the quality of my life over the last 15 years. My history through child-hood and early adult-hood is littered with a very noticeable and slightly destructive “trail” or “wake” left behind. Financial problems, decision problems, under-achievement, relationship problems spanning decades and improving after being treated for ADHD.
- Am I an Adderall abuser? Absolutely not and in the fifteen years on Adderall my quality of life has been exponentially better than it was. This perception is unanimously held by myself, my wife and my entire family. I have never had the urge to exceed dose and discount the addiction potential claimed by the government. My dose after 15 plus years never exceeded 20mg twice daily and is often reduced to 20mg once daily.
- Is Adult ADHD real? I can guarantee it is as real as it gets, and I can also say that the disapproving looks by pharmacists from both evil red pharmacies is 15 minutes of shame worth living through each month. Adderall requires monthly scripts, NO REFILLS, is often out-of-stock and cannot be “pre-ordered” forcing patients to refill at exactly 30-days and sometimes try at 28 or 29 days to offer a buffer and the pharmacists let the evil looks fly and will often deny a refill the day prior to empty.
- It is embarrassing to be prescribed Adderall at my age and it is made worse because the evil-red-pharmacies make me feel like a drug-dealer or addict when refilling so I avoid them entirely.
Changed jobs often resulting in a negative impact on my career in the long-run.
Performed risky activities, ignoring negative consequences causing minor (thankfully) negative repercussions such as accidents or legal problems.
Made reckless and impulsive purchases of non-essential luxuries & repeated same mistakes resulting in considerable financial damage.
Better decision making has helped erase many of the negative impacts of the past. Decision making easier (other than hyper-analyzing) and less prone to impulse.
Minimized alcohol use which was relatively heavy and was likely used as self-medication / coping mechanism. Became healthier with improved emotional stability.
Over achieved instead of simply meeting expectations. School was naturally easy/boring but Adderall provided ability to focus and excel.
Adult ADHD Treatment Experiences
- My doctor has switched me from various ADHD medications over the last 15 years, tried them all, and have had good success with most stimulant based medications.
- I had an AMAZINGLY positive experience with Provigil, but sadly like many ADHD’ers find the benefit from Provigil is short lived. Provigil must cause a fundamental change inside a brain because most will agree the first week on Provigil is like coming awake like in the movie with Robin Williams, “Awakenings”. I truly felt “normal” the first few weeks on Provigil and was so happy until the drug failed to work at all a month or two later. If someone can learn what Provigil is doing to new patients, and find a way to keep the drug from losing effectiveness than I believe it would be the next huge step for ADHD medications. Provigil is in a less restrictive controlled substance level making the chance of abuse lower and eliminating the need to visit a doctor every single month! Provigil was AMAZING for lack of better word, but it just does not continue to work beyond a month or two– in my experience– and anecdotal evidence found all over the Internet in ADHD forums.
- Considering I am in my 40’s, and been taking stimulant medications; I’ve had two different full cardiac work-up done by request of my doctor to make sure Adderall is safe for my body.
- I do not have blood-pressure problems, weight problems or other issues related to long term use of stimulants. I have plateau’ed at around 40mg daily, half in the morning and half in the afternoon. I have built a tolerance to the point that I always sleep soundly even if I take my second dose later in the evening but I find the drug is still very helpful.
- For me Adderall is the gold-standard for ADHD medications considering the downfall of Provigil I mentioned.
- Vyvanse is good too, almost as good as Adderall for me. Some like Vyvanse better I found it was more prone to raising my heart-rate and blood-pressure between 10am and 2pm and rapidly falling off in the early afternoon. In short, Vyvanse kicked a bit too hard early and lost effectiveness too quickly to the point of causing irritability.
- There are times when I reduce my dose (with doctor approval) to 20mg daily making it last two months instead of one and sometimes slightly lower yet which allows me to ramp to the full dose at times when I need to be 100%. It has been at least five years on Adderall after five on Vyvance, Concerta or Straterra (yuck) and I approach fifty years old feeling healthy and having outstanding blood pressure 120/80 and no known negative impact (thank goodness) but I worry about it.
- As I mentioned I very rarely drink alcohol because Adderall just makes it taste bad– my wife likes to have a beer with me every now and then and I feel bad because I hate it now. Alcohol is such a dirty drug, in my humble opinion and if marijuana is legalized I will probably use it very occasionally, like once or twice a month because I feel light usage has great benefit allowing me to “reflect” on life and make “adjustments” based on those “deep” reflections. I find marijuana more addictive than Adderall, but that is just my experience.
So did I really answer any of the IMPORTANT questions about Adderall? I don’t think that I did and rambled more than anything so I’ll leave this introduction with a few really tough questions that get to the real point of this article. Finding the “true” answer will not be easy, and may not be possible with any degree of certainty. I put my answers after each question below; and based on my answers it appears I am from the camp that believes Adderall will be judged positively by history.
- Does Adderall help college students to study harder and longer? Yes, this question might be considered rhetorical it is so easy.
- It is reasonable to assume that we have more doctors practicing today because medical students had easy access to Adderall during college years whether they suffered from ADHD or not? Yes, and this question is nearly as close to rhetorical as the first one.
- The next logical question is easy, and in my mind another “Yes” without question. If there were fewer medical doctors, and specialists today had Adderall not been available, would society be less healthy and suffer from a lower quality of life? Absolutely, right?
- You could go one step farther when pondering these questions. Think about several years down the road when the medical field is stretched even thinner due to aging baby boomers and the shortage of medical doctors begins to have an exponentially negative impact on the health of society. We may need something better than Adderall to prepare ourselves for the future such as artificial intelligence or an API to the human brain that allows programming of knowledge like was done in the movie, “The Matrix“. These are answers I’d rather not think about as I am not comfortable with the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI), and I am a computer science major so I am not the type you’d expect to be afraid of technology.
Adderall, Marijuna, Saviors of the Universe, Beginnings of the End? What Do You Think?
They were rhetorical and the truth is that we may never know.
Adderall may just be the savior of the universe, or it may be the beginning of the end. If you have an opinion about which is the right answer please leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from some really smart Adderall Mind-Power Boosted, Marijuana Mind-Depth Boosted college students on the subject. The next article will be on Marijuana and whether history will judge it positively or negatively.